Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Spud and MTN!!

Spud and MTN!

Now that’s AYOOOBAAA!!!

*raises figuirative pom-poms* MTN is the BOW-WOW! MTN is the BOW-WOW!

I’ve been an MTN subscriber since my first cellphone in 1998! Yeah baby! So automatically, that qualifies me for the tickets to the premier of Spud the movie! Check out the deets here: Basically MTN is giving anyone who has a blog, Twitter or Facebook account to be their guest at the premier of this movie, starring John Cleese as the cantankerous The Guv in either Joburg, Durban or Cape Town. Further details are also HERE!

I first met Spud in 2008:

Monday 2008 November (in the morning): I received a box of books from a colleague. Buried beneath, Michael Gregorio’s Critique of Criminal Reason and David Rohl’s The Lord of Avaris was a nondescript paperback. A boy seemed to be diving head-first into the darkness and the title was Spud – The Madness Continued. Little did I know I had just encountered what would become one of my all-time favorite books.

November 2008 (midday): During my lunch hour I took Spud out to lunch with me and got reading. I was rather late in returning to my desk and I couldn’t wait to get back to my book.

November 2008 (after work): By now I had realized there were two books and I drove quickly to CNA to get the first. I found the very LAST copy at the nearest branch! I eventually had to sleep at 1am, three quarters through Spud: The Madness Continues. By the time the weekend had rolled around I had read both books and starting on my second, more leisurely reread.

If there are Spudheads out there, let me join please!

I practically grew up in boarding school, starting at the fresh age of 10 years old. After reading ALL Spud books I have come to the conclusion that I am a mixture of Spud, Rambo and Pike. Every word John van de Ruit writes in these books strikes a responsive chord with me. I have grown to love Spud as though he is the best friend I sometimes wished I had in school.

While I was extremely intelligent and bookish, writing essays that had my English teachers oohing and aahhing with rapturous praise, I was a hell-raiser and my house superintendent wished many ills upon my misbehaving head; both in primary and high school.

In primary school I established quick dominance by taking on the biggest kid in the dorm. She wasn’t to know I had spent my childhood rough-housing with boys and had a murderous past in which I killed field mice, roasted and ate them. I was hardcore!

It was in primary school I would gain the nickname AK47. I quite recently received a message from a kid I went to high school with via Facebook. She was ASKING to add me as a friend and asking me if I was still a great dirty bully. I assured her that I was not! Nor was I the loser she and her fellow friends dreamed my friends and I would end up being. But I told her I had repented of my evil ways and was now in fact a decent member of society. She evidently didn’t buy my story because she never added me!

Not AYOOOBAAA!

In high school I was craftier in my bad behavior although I did refuse to “fag/slave” as all new comers were required to. After making history by facing a hostel disciplinary committee two weeks into the New Year it was decided that it would be punishment FOR the Prefect to make me slave for them. I was told to clean the salad bar after supper every night instead of slaving but I didn’t like that either. Eventually, they left me alone. The school’s mistake had been not being explicit about slaving in their application forms.

Strangely enough, most of my teachers are now my friends. I speak to them regularly and they are quite proud of me. In my final year I had a heart to heart with my house superintended, a lady I admired greatly and she said I wasn’t that bad! HONEST! I was floored! And chuffed. :) Deep down I was just a teacher's pet! As a tribute to her I now match my nail polish to my clothes, she used to do that.

Some of my boarding school highlights:

The Famous Four Investigators Club: Established in primary school. We kept track of who was gossiping about us. Then confront them. We were miserable little kids away from our families, someone had to be Pike!

D-Day: This was in high school. Somehow, I ended up being the whistle-blower on this one and six girls were expelled from the boarding house for bullying. Hmmm. They still hate me. I think I probably plea bargained, that is the only explanation for my narrow escape.

My nicknames: AK47, Shokko (because I was a shocker), Que Sera Sera (given to me by my high school history teacher because I always misbehaved despite consequences). I don't know the one's people called me behind my back!

My 6-time near expulsion: I must have been the only girl to dodge this many bullets. Once, I had to have a lawyer! How Rambo is that eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sew your piece on this patchwork