Wednesday, November 14, 2012

On lies and blindness


I recently broke my spectacles.  Actually, what is the proper name for those? There are “glasses” and then there are “spectacles.”  Whichever, I no longer have the things I used to see with. There is a concept in the physiology of sight that is called “dark adaptation”. This refers to the temporary blindness you experience when you move from bright light, to dim light. Basically, your eyes malfunction for a bit, rendering you blind.

When someone lies to you, they temporarily blind you. For a few precious seconds (well the effects of lies last longer than seconds) you are rendered blind. So, a mortal danger could happen in those seconds and you would be none the wiser.

When someone lies to you, they place you in danger, danger of the effects of their lies. While they bask in the success of their dishonesty, you are at the mercy of the path they now have to lead you down, in order to prevent their lies from discovery.

So if there is fate, is it your fate to fall for lies? Let’s say  no, let’s say that Fate did not factor in that people would lie, because lie goes against the basic instincts of most decent people, so if you fall for a lie, you are no longer following your Fate. You are just the puppet in the machinations on some liar.

Most of the time, these liars are not thinking ahead. They have to think on their feet, often adjusting lies to suit whichever path you seem to be likely to take which will lead to your discovering the light. And so you remain their sightless puppet.

I want to know when it stops.

When does a person decide, ok, my lies are hurting this person, I want to stop. And when they stop, is that an act of honesty for you, or simply tiredness of keeping track of all their lines?

And what happens when you discover the lies on your own?

These are the dumb questions that occupy my mind.

PS: I really hate not wearing my glasses.

PPS: Pardon typos

1 comment:

  1. I don't believe leopards change their spots and I don't believe liars stop lying. They may change the story but it doesn't mean it's the truth. Beware of a false dawn.

    It's not fate that makes you believe lies, it's having a trusting nature. You can make an attempt to have it out with someone, but a confirmed liar is likely to turn the tables and imply you're the one at fault or that you're imagining things. Forgiving and forgeting just leaves you open to more lying. Or you can use the liar, take what you want or need from the relationship whatever it is, but you can be fairly certain that the lying continues.

    I hate, hate, hate, that experiencing lie after lie has turned me into a cynic who now trusts very few.

    ReplyDelete

Sew your piece on this patchwork