Thursday, March 11, 2010

Raining good memories

I started this post yesterday then lost it by inadvertantly closing the page without saving. I was rather annoyed by this because I had done a brilliant job writing off the cuff. Now it'll just suck. Anyway, I will remember to save a lot today.

So imagine you're walking on the wonderful slow lane of life. Everything seems in perfect harmony. Please note, not everything is perfect, it's in perfect harmony. The oven isn't working very well, it burns at the back, but you've embraced baking in the microwave. See, at the back of every bad, you've learnt to find the good. So the you are chilling on slow lane, exploring inner peace, quintessentially Buddhist when KAZAAM SHASHABOOEY!

It all seems to EXPLODE in your face and you're left wiping gunk off your glasses and trying not to taste a splattering of gore on your lips.

In times like these I often find it is better to do what I suspect artists do, look at a mess of color and see beauty. For you see, when something goes wrong in your life and more often than not, things that trip you up in that magnitude are things involving other people. Your lover, your children, your siblings, your parents. Take your pick.

And so I looked for beauty. The mess looked like a big vomit after a drinking binge. In the fiery red of last night's lobster I saw the laughter as we tackled the ill-fated crustaceans. Today it lay in a muggy cluster, a ball of confusion. In the yellowy gooey bile you can detect the wine that was consumed generously leading to merriment and loosened tongues. The peas, not yet digested show you that you really ought to chew more thoroughly.

If you're frowning in concentration trying to make sense of this right now don't worry. It doesn't make sense. Expect insofar as to explain my theory of looking for the good in the bad. The crisis that I had has not passed, but it's power over my mind has lessened. I do not obsess about how devastating it could be if I cannot fix it, rather, I remember how good it was before it come along and know, that out of this mess, something much more beautiful, will result. I only have to pick up the brush and paint anew.

So far the canvass is empty. But I have other things to keep me occupied until I can deal with the problem.

4 comments:

  1. Blogger automatically saves everything you write. You never wrote nothin'. Admit it. :)

    I like the part about the undigested peas the most, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not when you blog on mobile my dear Max! :)

    I'm a dab hand at metaphors eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have everything well thought out. You would make a good criminal. You probably are. :)

    Your metaphors are ok. In a gorge-raising way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shashabooey! That's me had! :) I'll have to work on them then. Can't have so-so metaphors.

    ReplyDelete

Sew your piece on this patchwork